In case you missed Ole‘s tweets here you go, read it carefully:
"If we do not receive an update within forty-eight hours, your app [Pythonista] may be removed from sale" pic.twitter.com/IHsbC182hf— omz (@olemoritz) June 11, 2014
We thought that the problem was over since he updated the app and removed the “Issue”.
Then he received this email from the App Review Team
WHAT!? pic.twitter.com/u7H965aAJ1— omz (@olemoritz) June 27, 2014
My hope is still that this is some sort of automated system and someone just forgot to clear a flag... pic.twitter.com/UZQg4attgS— omz (@olemoritz) June 27, 2014
YES, that’s right, Apple
is going to remove removed an amazing app from the app store because of a feature that apple didn’t feel comfortable about.
The ability to open files from other apps in Pythonista (in order to comply with the app review guidelines).
A Feature that doesn’t do any harm to its devices.
Is Apple trying to show developers that they are in control? There’s no explanation for this bad move by Apple.
What is Pythonista and Why does Apple want it out of the AppStore? #
Pythonista is an integrated development environment for writing Python™ Official Pythonista Website
Python is a programming language that allows you to write pretty much anything you want, from apps to games to things that could help with your workflow.
Pythonista has been in the AppStore since July 11 2012, and now Apple
want to remove it removed it because of an “unresolved issue.”
The first warning came to Ole after WWDC14.
I’m not sure if these two are connected to each other, but if they are, then this is a pathetic move from Apple.
What type of things can you do with Pythonista? #
A lot of people out there have created so many amazing things that you can do with Pythonista.
- Flabby Bird: GitHub user named (bashedcrab) was able to rewrite Flappy Bird Game using Pythonista.
- Air Hockey: another great example of simple and fun games that can be developed and written on your iOS devices using Pythonista, with this Air Hockey game made by Jay Gillibrand.
- Minesweeper game: I’m sure at one point in your life you’ve used Windows XP…no?! Just me? Oh well, then you’ve missed out on a great game called Minesweeper. Are you sure you never played this game before? Don’t worry, with Pythonista you can play this game. I’m sure you’ll like it. For Windows XP fans out there, I’m sure you have a lot of memories playing this game. Now you can play it again on your iOS Device using this Pythonista code made possible by Maurits van der Schee.
Make sure to check his other game TicTacToe, also [available on GitHub]
- Automating iOS: How Pythonista Changed My Workflow & My iOS Screenshot Generation Workflow by Federico Viticci Founder & Editor-in-Chief of MacStories.
Go make a cup of coffee, or [Ticci Espresso] ((I wish that was a real Espresso)) sit and relax so you can enjoy reading this long and detailed article made by [Federico], he explains in an amazing way, how Pythonista can help you improve your WordFlow. From Converting texts to Markdown, the ability to post an article to your <a class="zem_slink" title="WordPress" href="http://wordpress.org" target="_blank" rel="noopener" rel="homepage">WordPress</a> site using Pythonista & Poster, converting Twitter URL to open in <a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tweetbot-3-for-twitter-iphone/id722294701?mt=8&uo=4&at=1l3v6xZ" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Tweetbot</a>, to adding link to Pinboard, cleaning your screenshots, and much much more.
It’s interesting to see that Dexter ((cool name btw)) was able to create his own contact backup solution using Python script and Launch Center Pro and Draft.
- Change iOS Fonts by Ole. Yes, using this simple script with Pythonista, you can change your Font in iOS, that’s it.
- File Browser by Ole. Another great example by Ole, with this Script you can create a File Browser that will allow you to browse through the iOS system files, which normally cannot be accessed by any other file browser app.
As you see, with Pythonista you can do anything you want, from games, to apps, to cool hacks that can make your work easier. And now Apple wants to take that away because the app can import executable codes from outside the app. Is this fair? I don’t think so.
What can you do for Pythonista? #
Send an email to Tim cook telling him how much you love the app and how much it helped you.
What else? #
You can make your voice heard by tweeing to Tim Cook and ask him to make the App Review Team reconsider their decision.
The AppStore is the place people go so they can discover new apps that will help them in their life. It’s the place where kids these days go to not to play games, but to learn how to develop new apps and games. The AppStore is a community where people love and support each other, and in my opinion we shouldn’t let Pythonista be taken out of the AppStore.
Thank you for your time. I hope we can make a difference in the end.
Useful Links: #
Phew! Seems like it was just a mistake after all. :) pic.twitter.com/sAlvLDA1FK— omz (@olemoritz) June 27, 2014