Today I got a phone call from a friend asking me to fix his laptop, he have an Acer 5742Z and the problem was his WiFi, it’s wasn’t working. The first thing I did is check the Device Manager in Windows 7, and I was right, the Acer 5742Z WiFi Driver was not installed.
Well that was easy, now all I have to do is go to Acer’s official website and download the driver. It turned out that its not that easy, both of the available drivers for Windows 7 Atheros and Broadcom don’t work.
Well that’s weird, I tried everything I could, even manual installation for the driver using only the driver files without installing the driver using the software included with it, but sadly it didn’t work.
After finding multiple drivers on Google ((and one virus infected website)) I decided to find the driver the hard way, Follow these steps to Download Acer 5742Z WiFi Driver:
- Right Click on Computer and then Select Manage.
- Select Device Manager.
- Select the Network Controller (It should be under other devices).
- Right Click on it and select Properties.
- Now Select Devices then Select the Property Hardware Ids.
- Select the top Value and Search for it on Google (Try another Value if the first one didn’t work).
- The first result in Google should be Driver Identifier website, exactly This Page.
- Look at the Version which should be 184.108.40.206,2010-06-05.
- Now Visit this website and download the same version .
- Enjoy WiFi on your laptop.
The only reason I wrote all of this is because I only found the driver that work on the website I provided on step #9.
One of the most horrible things in Windows is finding Drivers for old laptops, but this one isn’t and it was still hard to find it even on the Official site.
Hopefully this help you.